Health and Nutrition
Kansas citizens want reliable research based information about their food supply. Busy families want to prepare quick, easy, nutritious meals. Poor dietary choices and lack of physical activity have been linked to many health conditions - including obesity, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, heart disease, certain cancers, respiratory disorders, joint problems and osteoporosis, as well as psychosocial problems.
Obesity is a major cause of preventable disability and death in the United States. Many experts believe the current generation of children will have shorter life spans than their parents because of inactivity and poor diet choices.
Frontier District #11, part of K-State Research & Extension, addresses research based information to teach nutrition, meal planning, food preparation, food budgeting and safe food practices. We work with community partners in Anderson, Franklin and Osage Counties.
Mix It, Knead It, Twist It - Youth Pretzel Making Class
The Frontier Extension District will be hosting a healthy homemade pretzel class for youth in 3rd through 5th grades over Spring Break. Participants will get to make, try, and take home samples of the recipe they make! Class dates, times, and pre-registration information is listed below. Youth will also need to complete the Mix It, Knead It, Twist It participation form.
*Tuesday, March 12th, 1:30-3:00 p.m. - Anderson County Annex, Garnett
Please pre-register by March 8th by calling 785.448.6826 or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Thursday, March 14th, 1:30-3:00 p.m. - Frontier District Lyndon Office
Please pre-register by March 11th by calling 785.828.4438 or to email@example.com.
*Friday, March 22nd, 1:30-3:00 p.m. - First Baptist Church, Ottawa
Please pre-register by March 20th by calling 785.229.3520 or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Please note that each class is limited to 12 youth. All classes are the same, they are just being offered in different locations across the Frontier District. Classes will be filled on a first-come first-serve basis.
KOFO Radio Segments:
- Slow Cooker Food Safety Tips
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew
- Have a Healthier Halloween
- Healthy Halloween Treats
- Donating Safe and Nutritious Foods to Food Pantries
- Nutritious Donation Ideas for Food Pantries
- Common Questions and Answers for Preparing Turkey
- Let's Talk Turkey - A Consumer Guide to Safely Roasting a Turkey
- Why It is Important to Avoid Eating Raw Cookie Dough
- Keeping Food Safe During Power Outages
- Food Product Dating: What Do Those Dates Mean?
- Tips for Purchasing a Canner for a Smooth Cook Top Stove
- Can I Can on My Smooth Cook Top Stove? - National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Alzheimer's 101
- E. coli Outbreak and Romaine Lettuce Update