Types of 4-H Volunteers
Direct Volunteer - Adult or teen with authority to independently plan and conduct educational experiences for youth OR volunteer whose position puts them in close, ongoing, interactions with youth. Direct volunteers are required to complete the Volunteer Screening Process. Examples: Club Leader, County-Wide Leader, Project Leader, Camp Counselor, Event/Overnight Chaperone, and/or Chauffeur.
Episodic Volunteer - Volunteer helping with a single "episode" or activity, usually with a registered volunteer present. Episodic volunteers are NOT required to complete the Volunteer Screening Process. Examples: Judge or Superintendent at Fairs, Workshop Presenter, and/or Guest Speaker.
Indirect Volunteer - Volunteer who works with the Extension 4-H program, but not directly with youth. Indirect Volunteers are NOT required to complete the Volunteer Screening Process.Examples: PDC, Fair Board, and Extension Board.
Note - All volunteers need to create a "family" account on Kansas 4HOnline Enrollment System.
Adult Kansas 4-H Volunteer Applicant Steps
- If your family uses the Kansas 4HOnline system at https://ks.4honline.com/, you already have a family account. Login to your family and add yourself as a new family member if you don’t have an adult profile. If your family has never used 4HOnline, you will need to create a new family account before creating an adult profile for yourself.
- Complete the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Orientation available through Kansas 4HOnline or in person through your local office.
- After completing the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Orientation, notify the local Extension Office about completing the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Orientation and schedule an interview appointment.
- Upon completing the Interview, the Extension Office will provide information for the required background checks.
- Local extension office will compile information and submit the applicant’s packet for approval.
- The extension office will send a letter concerning volunteer status and appointment for 4-H work and update status within the Kansas 4-H Online system.
If you have any questions, please contact Juanita Sleichter at 785-229-3520 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.